Dough after 1st rise for 1 hour.
- 310 gms water
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 510 gms plain flour (I used bread flour)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 30gms olive oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon of bread improver
- Heat the water to 37 degrees (2 minutes on speed 1).
- Place all other ingredients in the heated water in the order listed above.
- Mix for 10 seconds, speed 6 until just combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Knead on dough setting for 6 minutes (or if doing by hand for 12 minutes).
- Turn out dough into a large oiled glass bowl and cover with glad wrap.
- Leave to rise for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- After 1 hour, punch down and roll onto a floured surface.
- Shape into whatever is required (ie rolls, loaf, scrolls etc).
- Cover with tea towel and leave for at least 45 minutes for the 2nd rise.
- Turn oven on to "moderate" to heat up while the rolls are doing their 2nd rise.
- Bake in moderate oven until brown (mine took 20-25 mins)
Above...rolls on their 2nd rise.
Some notes for you...even though I used bread flour I still used the bread improver as I wanted to make the recipe as close to the original as possible. I just bought a little box of bread improver from Woolworths next to the yeast. I store my yeast and bread improver in the freezer to keep it fresh.
OMG these are the BEST rolls we have made and the kids LOVED LOVED LOVED them. Next time I will try and make the rolls the same size and a bit bigger. I stored the extra rolls in a tupperware container on the bench and tonight (ie the next day 24 hours later) these rolls were still as soft and fluffy and didn't taste like day old home made bread. So I highly recommend you give these a go and I would be keen to make a loaf of bread as well to see how that goes but the rolls are the winner that's for sure. We had our rolls with homemade minestone soup and it was delicious...I would't get a job as a food stylist with my photo of our dinner however you get the idea and we were pretty happy eating our lovely dinner.
Fantastic home made fluffy soft on the inside bread rolls.
Home made minestrone soup and bread rolls.