Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Zucchini Slice Recipe

Both my kids love Zucchini Slice (or pie as some like to call it) and I've been making the same recipe since I was about 20.  In the last year I found a new recipe which I like even better as it makes more of a firm slice than the other one.  Currently it's in the oven baking now...yum.  I also cut up the left overs for school lunches and they both love eating it cold.  I think last time I put some mixture in the mini muffin pan which makes little bit sized snacks.  These would require less cooking time in the oven.  They are easy to freeze and then I can just pop them in the kids lunch boxes on any school day.  Here is the link to the recipe on Taste if you want to print it out, however I'll write it out here for future reference.  It's also a good one if you have an over supply of eggs as it takes 5 eggs.  I actually had to buy half a dozen eggs today for the first time in a couple of years to make this recipe as we only have one chicken laying at the moment and Sienna is cooking herself an egg for breakfast in the mornings.



INGREDIENTS
  • 5 eggs 
  • 150gms (1 cup) self-raising flour sifted
  • 375 gms zucchini grated (squeeze out excess water)
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped (I grated this as well)
  • 200gms rindless bacon, chopped (you could also use ham which I have done sometimes)
  • 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
  • 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
METHOD
  • Preheat oven to 170C degrees (fan force decrease by 10 degrees)
  • Grease and line a 30 x 20cm lamington pan.
  • Beat the eggs in a large bowl until combined.
  • Add the flour and beat until smooth.
  • Then add zucchini, onion, bacon, cheese and oil and stir to combine.
  • Pour into the prepared pan and bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through. 
Serve with salad or vegetables......it does take a bit of work to grate your zucchini and cheese and get this in the oven however it's worth it.  I start making this about one hour before I want to serve it.


The ingredients in the tin ready to go into the oven.  I chopped up some spring onions to go on top and also pepper however you can use dried herbs like oregano too.

Here are some pictures of it before going into the oven and after baking.  I'll give you one tip that you will LOVE from Jamie Oliver on using baking paper (parchment paper) and that is get your piece the size you need for your tin and scrunch it up into a ball and wet it under the tap. Then open it out and shake off the excess water and you will be able to pop the paper into your pan and it will sit there nicely so you can pour in your mixture.  There is nothing worse when you have a big bowl in one hand, the spatula in the other and trying to manage to pour the mixture in only to have the baking paper (parchment paper) move.  I do this when I'm making Chocolate Slice etc anything that I'm baking that needs to go in a tin up to the sides.  Trust me, it will be life changing for your baking.  I don't do this when I'm lining a large flat tray to cook biscuits on, only when I need to "pour" a mixture into a tin like the above.  Seriously give this a go next time you make a slice and you'll thank me..well thank Jamie Oliver anyway.


3 comments:

  1. It looks delicious - I might try this with almond flour ... And what a great tip about the parchment paper. I have always just lightly oiled or buttered the baking tray to help the underside of the parchment to stick but your tip is very neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have zucchini slice regularly too but the recipe I use only has 3eggs. I put mashed pumpkin in mine too if I've got any leftovers. I like the tip about baking some in mini-muffin pans. I'm going to try that for school lunches next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great for the school lunches that's for sure....thanks for stopping by.

      Delete