Sunday, April 10, 2016

Rhonda's New Book - The Simple Home

My book finally arrived on Thursday and I was so excited to start reading it.  Here's a sample of a couple of pages in the book which has some recipes including step by step instructions for making bread.  The book is broken down into 12 months from January to December with a different focus for each month including budgeting, meal planning, veggie garden planning etc.  You can read the book in order or pick a topic and focus on that.  The book is written with the Southern Hemisphere in mind however Rhonda has put a note at the back of the book for there Northern Hemisphere readers which chapters to read in order ie summer gardening in Australia is a different month then overseas.  So far I have read 2 chapters and it is written for a broad range of simple living families in mind.  Whether you are 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 or 70, whether you are single, married, with kids or retired there is lots of advice.

One thing I have always admired about Rhonda's blog is she does not "preach" ie she doesn't promote what she does as the way you have to do it. She tells people what they do in the hope that you may pick up tips or tricks but ultimately it's your family, your life and your routines and you can decide how your family wants to "live simply".  If you don't want to ever make bread, then don't.  If you want to go to the farmers markets and buy fresh veggies instead of growing your own if you don't have time then do what is right for your family.  The book is wonderful, it is well made and the pictures and instructions are wonderful.  It is a credit to Rhonda to pump out another amazing book which required hours of locking herself away in a room with her computer rather than just enjoying her life.  This is her last book and I'm very thankful I came across an article in the Burkes Backyard Magazine about about 8 years ago that she had written.  The fact that I was visiting with my in-laws in Melbourne who had a wonderful veggie patch also inspired me at the time.  I look forward to reading the rest of the book in the coming week.  I think the Harvest Turnovers below would be a big hit with my kids.

Note:  since I wrote this post I have made the flat breads and they are so easy and delicious.  Harvest Turnovers next on the list (21-05-2016).





2 comments:

  1. My book arrived on Thursday too, Kathy. Hooray! I've leafed through all of it and can't wait to have time to read each chapter in depth. I know that I'll be making flatbreads from the book as my boy loves them and they are something that's hard to find without extra preservatives in the shops. Rhonda is an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the flatbreads took my fancy as well...

      Delete