Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Hummus from scratch (really)....

A while back Emma from She Sews Seeds blog posted on her Insta-story a video of her making home made hummus from scratch.  She got so many questions that she put it into a blog post for us and you can read about it here.

I've made hummus a few times before however as my kids don't eat it so I don't make it often and have only used canned chickpeas.  Emma swears that making it from the dry chickpeas is far better and that her method makes the creamiest hummus around.  She freezes it in containers as they go through a fair bit so I decided to give this mystery of dried chickpeas a go.  I often refer back to my blog for recipes so I'm going to type it out here as well as Emma's link above.  Below is a summary first followed by the actual recipe.  PS...both my kids tried this on seaweed cracker biscuits and liked it.

At night time before you go to bed or after you clean the kitchen put the chickpeas into a bowl and top up with water about 1 inch (approx 2.5 cm or so) above the chickpea line.  Leave on bench overnight.

In the morning empty the water out of the bowl and place the chickpeas into a big pot of cold water (ie just tap water) add salt and bi-carb soda and bring the pot to the boil.  Simmer for 1 hr.

Drain the water and let the chickpeas cool to room temperature.

Last step is to mix it up in your Thermomix or food processor.  So basically it seemed a bit daunting but in fact was super easy.  You could also start in the morning and then whip it up in the afternoon if you wanted to.  

I am converted to this hummus as it's the nicest home made version I've made so I highly recommend you giving it a go.  Here is the actual ingredient list and instructions by Emma, the above is an overall summary.  Here is a link to another way to cook and preserve chick peas using the slow cooker which is a great idea.  Thanks Cheryl for the link to this method.  I've also found a recipe for home made Tahini which I will be having a go at.

Ingredients:-
2 cups dried chickpeas (available in the soup section at the supermarket)
2 teaspoons of salt1 teaspoon of bicarb sodaJuice of one lemon3 tablespoons of tahini5 garlic cloves (actually probably way more…I adjust to taste and always add in more garlic!)1/2 cup water (also can vary, depending on the consistency you want for your hummus)1/3 cup olive oil1 tablespoon ground cumin2 teaspoons paprika

Method:-
Soak your chickpeas overnight in a big bowl of water, cover to about an inch (or more) above the chickpeas. No need to refrigerate, I just leave mine on the bench.
In the morning drain the chickpeas of all water, put them in a pot and cover with new water. Add in the salt and bicarb soda, bring to the boil, then simmer for an hour. Ensure that you have enough water and they don’t dry out.
Once the chickpeas are cooked they should be easily squashed between your fingers, but not be falling apart. Drain them and let them cool to room temperature.
Once cooled, place the cooked chickpeas, lemon, garlic and tahini in a food processor (I use my Thermomix) and blitz.
With the food processor running, slowly pour in the half a cup of water until you have a creamy texture and your desired consistency. More water may be needed.
Add in the oil, cumin and paprika and process until combined.
Adjust lemon/garlic/cumin/paprika flavours if needed, or more salt.
Chickpeas on the tray waiting to cool to room temperature.


Tastes great.

Beautiful creamy and smooth.

I filled smaller containers so they could go into the freezer and then I just need to thaw one at a time.  I've got some to give to my friend for her family as well as 4 small containers is enough for us.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, yum! I love hummus but I have never made it this way either...must try it! I would really like to find a recipe or substiture for the tahini in hummus recipes too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey meg, I often leave it out completely to no major detriment (imo). Sometimes I'll add some other seeds or nuts i have in the cupboard, processing first. Or if you do notice a lack of flavour could always add some spices or even roasted veg (pumpkin or sweet potato being particularly yum). Cheers, Laura

      Delete
    2. You could substitute the tahini for Almond Butter or any nut butter (which can be found in the peanut paste section of the supermarket). Try giving it a go because it's delicious. Store bought is not the same as this...yum yum.

      Delete
  2. I make this recipe from dried chickpeas too, I got my recipe from Stay Home Instead Blog, Fiona cooks up chick peas and freezes them in batches, it's far cheaper to do it this way, as you are not paying for the liquid in a can of chickpeas. 250g of cooked dried chickpeas is the weight of a 400g can of drained chickpeas. Even when tinned chickpeas are on sale, I can get double the quantity for the same price by cooking my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had a big thing on tv the other night about how much food vs liquid in a 400gm can of veggies. It certainly tastes better too.

      Delete
  3. Hello from sunny California. Thank you for sharing a great looking recipe. I've made hummus for years from canned chick peas but now I want to try your recipe. I hope your week is going great. Pa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a go at it....not that hard and very tasty. Thanks for popping in and leaving a comment....Kathy

      Delete