Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Afternoon Tea

I'm sure you all have a favourite pikelet recipe and this is the one we currently use.  This morning on the TV they interviewed a lady by the name of Kerri-Ann from Toowoomba who is a whiz at meal planning, meal prep and saving time and money in the kitchen.  She spends $150 per week and this covers their blended family of 7 so I'm very keen on getting tips from her.

She does not do a bulk cook up of a month's worth of dinners however she does bulk cook morning and afternoon tea items.  Here is the interview from this morning.




This morning I cooked up a big batch of her pikelet recipe and made pikelets for the freezer.  Often I will mix up the ingredients before I pick the kids up from school and cook them when we get home or on the weekends I get the kids to whip up a batch for morning tea.  Her recipe has a cup of sugar in it however this is a really large recipe and made about 45 pikelets.  Having them in ziplock bags in the freezer is very convenient.  If you were doing this for afternoon tea to eat and didn't want to freeze any for school lunches etc. I would do half the recipe.

PIKELETS (makes about 45 pikelets)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup of Sugar
  • 2 cups of Milk
  • 3 cups of Self Raising Flour
  • 4 Eggs
  • 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Essence 

Method
  1. Beat eggs, vanilla and sugar in a large bowl with a whisk.
  2. Add milk and flour alternately and mix until smooth.
  3. Cook spoonfuls in a warm buttered pan (not hot) until bubbles form on the surface then flip and cook until golden.
  4. Serve with butter and Golden Syrup or Jam.
Notes:-
  1. Use a whisk to ensure the mixture is light and fluffy.
  2. If you have time to leave the mixture to rest for 20 mins before cooking it's good to eliminate any flour balls or lumps
I also bought myself a pan from Aldi this week for $9 so that we can get our pikelets an even size.  Not that this matters however it means you can fit in 7 at a time whereas when we do them in a normal fry pan we seem to only be able to make 4 at a time.  I didn't need this pan and tossed up if I should another another item in the kitchen however we've used it twice this week and I'm really happy with it.  Our design has a smiley face on it and the other one was more of a waffle effect.


6 comments:

  1. How cool is that pan! I love it :)
    I couldn't feed our family of 5 for $150 dollars, if I was really careful, I might be able to do it for $200, but most times it's around the $250 mark. When I think about it that's only $50 a week per person for 21 meals and snacks a week, it's pretty good really, I should stop beating myself up over my grocery budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people spend between $250-$300 a week for a family of 5. Things cost money but I love seeing how others do it so if I can pick up any tips and tricks to saving money it's always helpful.

      Delete
  2. I love those smiley face pikelets, Kathy! I often make breakfast pikelets for our freezer, they have no sugar in them but do have mashed banana. They freeze well too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that pan, so cute! Another way to get uniform shaped pikelets is to put the batter into a cleaned out squeeze sauce bottle. Simply squeeze out the batter into a round blob...

    ReplyDelete